Moving to Calgary
- Web page
- Can be hooked up via telephone.
- Hook up fee is waived if you've had prior services. If not, deposit is 30% of annual consumption. A credit reference from a previous gas co. will also negate this deposit. The reference application is sent out from Atco Gas and must be sent to previous gas company.
- Deposit is billed and due 6 weeks after possession. Deposit will be refunded after one year.
- Monthly fee is dependant on household consumption.
- You have 90 days to change the insurance upon residing in Alberta from another province.
- New accounts can be set up by going into your bank.
- No need to change accounts if you stay with the same bank - just change address information.
- New cheques usually take 1-2 weeks to arrive.
- Temporary cheques can be issued for the interim.
Cable TV - Shaw Cable
- 250-8900 (New Accounts Division)
- Web Page
- Need to know # of outlets you want.
- If you are just assuming current homeowner's setup (i.e.: one outlet), hookup is $40.00.
- If a 2nd hookup is needed, another appointment has to be made. If the appointment is made within 10 days of starting service, hookup is free. If it is after, charge is $21.40.
- The monthly charge is $16.86 for basic service. If you have more than one outlet, there is also a charge for each additional outlet (4 outlets = $7.50/month).
- Pre-authorized debits can be set up - voided cheque or credit card number must be given to Shaw Cable.
Change of Address
- Cards can be purchased and sent out from any Postal outlet.
- Mail can by re-routed from previous address to new address - charge and service is for 6 months.
City of Calgary Tax Department
- Web Page
- To pay taxes monthly to the City, you can go on the TIPP Program (Tax Installment Payment Plan). You must apply before November 1 to pay commencing January of the following year, or if the previous owners of the house were on TIPP Program, you can take over their payments by contacting the City.
- Must be in place before closing/possession date of the new home.
- Usually takes 1-3 months to get the company to change over the policy to a new bank account. Best to leave cash in the previous account until change over is complete.
- Web Page
- Deposit required by some customers (first time hookups & depending on credit history): $100.00
- Installation service charge: $31.00 if premise visit is not required, $44.00 if premise visit is required.
- Line Rental: $21.11/month
- Service costs are billed on first monthly bill.
- Will rent phone if you don't have your own.
- Automatic billing can be set up. Must provide blank cheque from new bank account or credit card number.
- An order number is issued to each subscriber to make changes if required - must be referenced.
- If new phone is hooked up before May 30, it will be in phone book for next year.
- 232-1000 (City of Calgary Utility Customer Accounts Division)
- Web Page
- Can be flat rate of $48.18 or with a Water Meter
- All new accounts will be subject to a $10.00 application fee.
- Deposit is 2 times the average monthly billing (they calculate this). Deposit will be waived if you've had services before or if you have a previous utility reference.
- Deposit billed and due within 28 days of possession.
- Can by hooked up via telephone.
Recommend this Moving to Calgary page to a friend.